I have no idea why I have noise sensitivity issues. I am guessing it is hereditary, because my mother has some too, although in some ways different than me.
It occurred to me last night, as I was putting away dishes, that I ALWAYS use Tupperware plates and cups – like every day. I will give my husband a regular stoneware plate, but I need to eat off a tupperware plate. I think these are the ones I eat off of every day.
It made me realize that it’s not exactly normal. I wondered, what really is the scope and extent of my noise sensitivity issues? I wanted to try and capture what it is for me, and how it impacts my life. (which most days is not a big deal).
– the level of sensitivity varies – some days I am more sensitive than others, sometimes related to a headache or migraine, but other times not related to actual head pain.
– it is not really about volume, I love to hear a baby laugh and sometimes I like my music loud!
– repetitive noises – my kids know to never repeat a noise, a sound or a word more than 3 times or they will hear me say ‘Enough’.
– commercials on tv – everyone in the house knows – mute or at least lower the volume on the commercials. I am not sure why commercials need to be louder than the show – I always feel like I am being yelled at!
– no balloons in the house – I hate the sound of balloons and I don’t mean the popping, I mean the sound when you TOUCH the balloon. It literally hurts my ears.
– the sound of a knife and fork on a ceramic plate or glass or anything other than plastic.
– certain people’s coughs, sneezes and throat clearing, especially repetitive throat clearing.
– multiple noises at the same time – ie. the oven fan, the tv, music playing and someone talking on the phone.
– If I am talking on the phone – I want it to be quiet all around me
– when my sensitivity level is high, I jump out of my skin at the slightest noise.
But there are certain sounds I find soothing:
– the sound of waves, water rushing, or a fountain
– my mom playing the piano
(wow, can’t think of too many others…)
But I know that God understands my need for quiet.
This is what the Sovereign Lord,
the Holy One of Israel, says:
“Only in returning to me
and resting in me will you be saved.
In quietness and confidence is your strength.