Ephesians 5:15-21 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Youngs Literal Translation says – See, then, how exactly ye walk, not as unwise, but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil
New Living Translation says – Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.
The Message says – Don’t waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness….Make the most of every chance you get.
The Amplified Bible says – Look carefully then how you walk! Live purposefully and worthily and accurately, not as the unwise and witless, but as wise (sensible, intelligent people), 16 Making the very most of the time [buying up each opportunity], because the days are evil.
- making the best use of time
- redeeming the time
- make the most of every opportunity
- make the most of every chance you get
- making the very most of the time – buying up each opportunity
Our God is NOT constrained by time. But he has placed in a world that IS constrained by time. Our time is limited. God has work to accomplish through us, and our opportunity to complete His work is limited by time.
HOW do we make the best use of time?
- understand what the will of the Lord is (then we aren’t wasting our time on things outside of His will)
- be filled with the Spirit (v9 says for the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness, and righteousness, and truth,)
- address one another in psalms, hymns, spiritual songs – (see real life should be a musical – ha ha!)
- sing and make a melody to the Lord with your heart – more singing and praising and worshiping
- give thanks ALWAYS and for EVERYTHING to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ – and always – be thankful
- Submit to one another out of reference for Christ – no matter or age or stage in the journey, we all have people we need to submit to.
- be foolish
- get drunk with wine – for that is debauchery
Am I walking in the Spirit today? Am I taking the opportunity to act as part of God’s plan today? Am I thankful and praising and worshiping and speaking in psalms?